Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Ode to Dr. Salvador

Resident Evil 4 is good. Real good. The Wii version is even better.


Sure, I'd played the shoot-'em-up to death on the Gamecube before (and even bought it the day it was released -- man, I was hyped!), and then I even went out and bought the PS2 version to play the additional "Seperate Ways" segment. Buying the same game twice in unusual for me, but Resident Evil 4 is always worth the extra cash. My love doesn't end there: I think I might have even wrote an ode to the chainsaw man (named Dr. Salvador, apparently) back in high school, praising his fashion sense (the potato sack is a nice touch) and lovely manner in which he proceeded to remove Leon's head from his body. I still have nightmares.

But the Wii version...man, it's really, really good. I haven't played much of the main game because I've been spending most of my time with the Mercenaries mode, which is still as hectic and addicting as it was when I first played it on the 'Cube. The aiming definitely makes the whole shooting system much easier and accurate, and the remote probably (at the risk of sounding like marketing PR) makes the Resident Evil 4 experience that much more immersive.

This is the third time I've bought the game, though, making it the only game I've bought more than twice. It was on sale at Wal-mart and I couldn't resist. My brother finished the final boss over the weekend, and now I'm back into the Resident Evil mania. Why the hell is it still so addicting a few years later when most games lose their shine within the first couple weeks of release? Was it due to the constant revisions? Probably. When a game is in development stew for so long, it had better be a damn near-masterpiece -- and Resident Evil 4 is definitely that.

And the dialogue?

"Rain or shine, you're goin' down!"

Still so bad, yet still so good.

No comments: