Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Bikes of Burnout Paradise

Some time ago, the developers of Burnout Paradise added bikes to their exploding cars game.

This may have been the best thing that had ever happened to anything, anywhere.


Much like F-Zero GX on the Gamecube, I like to occasionally take one of the speedier bikes out on the open road and just space out for about an hour. Seriously -- I just hold down the R2 button for a full sixty minutes, staring blankly at the screen until something in real life jerks me back out of the cycling-induced coma. This isn't the first time this phenomenon has happened: F-Zero GX, too, had me cruising the free-run-never-ending time trial in Captain Falcon's or Rainbow Phoenix's rides until several blood vessels popped in my head and I was rushed to the emergency room. The doctors told me to slow down.

Ha, right. Now, both fortunately and unfortunately, popping blood vessels has become a tradition. The doctors stopped complaining once I became a regular bill-paying customer, though.

Thing is, I'm not sure whether driving these blistering-fast vehicles, be they the futuristic-hovering variety or two-wheeled insanity, is fun. Honestly, I'm not really sure what fun is anymore. If it includes an injection of adrenaline, then yes, I will have another dose -- otherwise, talking to random NPC's in those fancy RPG's isn't all that enjoyable to me. Nor should it be to anyone! Want to talk to the crotchety, cane-wielding old man in the next Final Fantasy game? Why don't you just walk into some real-life woods where the sounds of "Dueling Banjos" incessantly waft through the trees and synchronized shotguns chime in the distance? I'm sure you'll find an interesting old man in there to talk to. Heck, if you're lucky, he might even be a cannibal! Hooray for that!

Anyway, the Burnout bikes are a fantastic double-edged sword: on one hand, you have these amazingly fast modes of transportation for getting you from one place to another, rocketing off jumps all the way. But on the other hand, the cars themselves feel slow in comparison. I almost don't want to go back to four-wheels...

No comments: