Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bionic Commando Rearmed!


The most fun I ever had with my Playstation 3 wasn't with a big-budget $60 game or even a cheap download from the Playstation Network -- nay, dare I say -- it was the free Bionic Commando Rearmed demo. Seriously, I think I'd be fine selling my PS3 library and end up spending my entire day swinging around on my bionic arm, shooting Nazi bad guys with a shotgun. I don't even need to buy the whole game because the first level will suffice for eternity. Really!

It's just...so satisfying, you know? Don't ask me why. Maybe it all boils down to Jeremy Parish's everything wrong is right again, where what was once good (and forever will be good) is recognized by the games industry to be freaking awesome again. I mean, really: what was wrong with the early Mega Men, the Castlevanias, the Marios, and all that other 2-D software? Nothing. In fact, I'd argue that there is limitless and untapped potential in the second dimension -- and while the third dimension has this reputation as being "mature" and "where games need to go" in order to progress, I'd say that there's been very little progress at all in the last few years.

To be honest, thinking about playing Metal Gear Solid 4 again makes me a little queasy. Thinking about playing Soul Calibur 4 again has me a little turned on.

Thinking about playing Bionic Commando Rearmed, well...I could think about that all day.

No comments: